Saturday 7 March 2009

For my Guru, Mentor and a Friend...

My day usually begins by waking up to the chants of Maha Mrityunjaya and some meditation, followed by a cup of tea. Before I go for my shower, the house is filled with the beautiful sounds of some classical music that my music system churns out. No all of us are blessed with the gift of being able to appreciate these lovely master pieces of work. I was not born with this art of appreciation either. Parag Trivedi – my Guru, and Anjan Ray – my most beloved uncle: Parag, his beautiful and ever so benevolent wife- Manda , Anjan and some handfuls had come together with a common passion and goal in life – this was to demystify the classical art and bring it to us commoners.
Dvorak has always been my favourite composer followed by Beethoven. I had almost forgotten the reason and the people behind my love for these two maestros. I have a sense of pure nostalgia whenever I listen to Symphony Nr 9 of Dvorak and Symphony Nr. 5 and 6 by Beethoven. Dvorak’s work invariably brings tears to my eyes – just the 1st movement of his New World.
After much search, I did manage to find a beautiful and mind boggling recording of Herbert von Karajan conducting the New World – knowing well that no one apart from Anjan would be able to appreciate it as much, I shared this with him on Facebook. Next evening, I got back a mail from him, informing me that the particular piece of music was also a special favourite of Parag. This one liner made me happy and sad at the same time. I realise how much I miss my Guru and a dear friend – Parag. ‘Parag Trivedi’ was a name and a booming voice in A.I.R that Bombayites woke up to each Sunday morning in 1997 – 98 and Anjan would complement these with his music on a weekday’s night music. Those were the days when there was no world space and CDs were really expensive to buy – radio was still the next best form of entertainment.
I did travel back in time last night ... of the day that I met Parag.
A typical sultry noon in Bombay’s Victoria Terminus – a.k.a CST is definitely not a moment to remember in an average Bombaywala’s life. I call myself a typical Bombayite despite having spent all my living years living in various cities pan India and a tiny patch of my life was spent in Germany. I had gone to bid mamu farewell as he was disembarking on yet another journey via the railroad to Baroda. It was 1997 May. The relentless heat and humidity was hardly a thought that was crossing my mind as I stood watching the trains come in and go. That afternoon, I was wondering why is mamu going to Baroda to play some classical music to some office going lots... who cares for such vague and arbit pianos, violins, Western, Hindustani and Karnatic music .... what a waste of time !! I was just another ‘young rebel’ who liked listening to the music of 70s,80s and of course the 90s.... Classical Music was meant for the old and the snob class, this genre of music never did appeal to us young lots and in case we were to encounter one of us listening or even curious, we were to tag the person as a fossil . Little did I know that afternoon I’d meet my uncle’s friend who would be the ‘Tipping Point’ in my life. My uncle introduced me to the hurly-burly , humourous gentleman with a beard and twinkle in his eyes, donning his classic Kurta and blue jeans and carrying his maroon CD case – his most prized possession. I always believed myself to be an introvert who does not easily like talking to strangers and my uncle told Parag that I speak Gujarati and German & this was the ice breaker. Parag spent exactly a minute chatting on the platform before the train to Baroda came chugging in and I promised to meet him with mamu next time in Bombay at his place.
Still being sceptical about the ‘Classical World’, I did go with my mamu to Parag and manda’s home in Bombay’s Juhu area. The house was austere – exuding such peaceful and positive vibes that anyone could be at peace with the world and self upon entering. The aura of the house was akin to Manda’s. That morning, Parag, Anjan and Manda were all preparing for yet another Classical Art’s workshop dealing with the Baroque, Classical and Romantic era. The passion, dedication and the knowledge each one shared and bought out, kindled my instant love for this ‘new world’ I was entering into. Over a period of time, the Guru-Sishya parampara truely enfolded and I was invited by Manda and Parag to be a part of their family and live with them. As time went by, I slowly inched further and further into two worlds – that of Classical Art and the other of German. I went off to Germany eventually chasing a dream and spent long months basking in the newly discovered world of the western classical world that was now larger than life. Everything I saw and read in Europe, I could value it more because of the plethora of knowledge that Anjan and Parag had shared. I was like a sponge, taking in everything every breathing moment....
In 2003, when I came back once again from Germany after having spent some months in Deutsche Bank - I had called up Parag and Manda, wishing to meet them once again after a long spell; I was shocked to be informed by a strannger’s voice that Parag had become one with the Universe about a week ago. I could attend the prayer meet that was being held at one of his friend’s place at Samudra Mahal. I have never been able to reconcile with ‘Death’ : Not of Parag’s and not of my Thakurma’s.
As I pen these thoughts, I still wonder if Parag is smiling down at the world from where he sits...in eternal peace, sharing his eternal time with Beethoven, Tschaikovski, Mozart and his Guru. He must be glad to see Sabrang where it is today, to see where and what some of his Shishyas are doing and particularly laugh out loud in sheer joy when he listens to me waking up to Beethoven and walking a righteous path; so what if I can’t do much for the humans, my calling in life is for the animals. Manda and Parag had been the guiding lights when I was still young and could be influenced. Spending days and hours with them, I was subconsciously taught to transcend beyond the materialistic world. I do not know how successful I have been in transcending , but I do know that some people who had influenced my life then, would be glad to see my bit of the contribution to the world.

2 comments:

arfeens said...

Bonnie, Second last time I met Parag, he was distributing a CD release he compiled on Bach. I could not buy that time because I did not have money. By any chance, do you have that compilation? And or his AIR Mumbai recordings?

Bonnie said...

Afreens, I do not have the AIR recordings but, I do have the original cassettes recorded and released by Parag in the late 90s. In case you are from Bombay, you might wish to check for the CDs in Rhythm House.